7 October 2013
The General Council of the Vives Network, composed of 21 universities from Catalonia, Valencian Community, Balearic Islands, Northern Catalonia, Andorra and Sardinia, supporting the press release issued by University of the Balearic Islands about the Integrated Treatment of Languages, agrees and considers the following:
1. The current model of attention to languages at schools in the Balearic Islands has a broad consensus among society and educational community, as a result of experience and good results after more than three decades of work. The model ensures that students finish their compulsory education with a good command of both official languages. This model contributes to social cohesion.
2. The improvement of the language skills of students is compatible with the complete normalization of Catalan language, if it is based on contrasted pedagogical principles and on very-well prepared teams of teachers, and is constructed on the basis of an essential social consensus.
3. In this context, the implementation of the Integrated Treatment of Languages implies the modification of the current model. Besides, we confirm that the lack of consensus is an obstacle that could limit the success of any educational reform.
4. Therefore, rectors of the universities belonging to the Vives Network reaffirm the commitment with Catalan language and urge the Government of the Balearic Islands to listen the proposition made by the University of the Balearic Islands about providing the necessary studies that improve the educational goals, particularly those related to the languages skills.
5. As an official advisory institution in this territory in relation to Catalan language, and as an educational institution of higher education, the University of the Balearic Islands has offered to mediate with the aim of promoting the consensus among the parts.
Castelló de la Plana, Barcelona, Palma, Perpinyà, Sant Julià de Lòria, Sàsser
October 5th, 2013